Ariaferma | The Inner Cage
Italian Film Festival 2023
- Thu 8 Jun 2023
- Len Lye Cinema
- Rating: M
- Face coverings optional
- General $17
- Concession $12 for seniors, students, gallery friends and community service card holders (with valid ID)
- Booking recommended
- As there is no allocated seating doors open 15 minutes before screenings, please come early to avoid disappointment
- To minimise disruption no admittance to cinema 10 minutes after session starts
- Hearing loop provided for the hearing impaired
- Wheelchair spaces available. Free entry for a companion to assist an audience member who has a disability. Companion seat is automatically allocated when a wheelchair space is booked.
The last remains of a prison, guards and a few inmates, are waiting to be transferred and gradually the rules seem to make less and less sense and the waiting men become a new fragile community.
The Inner Cage is an evocative, award-winning ensemble drama. When a remote (fictional) prison is decommissioned, it disrupts the lives of both the prisoners and the guards. A small number of guards and inmates must wait together for the transfer in the nearly abandoned prison.
Soon all the traditional rules, habits and hierarchies appear facile, and a new fragile dynamic begins to emerge. Director Leonardo Di Costanzo never falls into cliche or obvious setups. Instead, he lets the tension grow in an intelligent, slow-burning drama, allowing characters and themes to emerge.
Toni Servillo and Silvio Orlando are two of European cinema’s master senior actors, and here they offer us a masterclass in screen acting with control, restraint and subtlety. Luca Bigazzi (Paolo Sorrentino’s regular cinematographer) creates bold imagery to enhance the characters in a profoundly humanistic way, revealing themes relevant anywhere in the world.
- Paolo Rotondo
Awards / Premi
Winner / Best Actor, Best Original Screenplay, David di Donatello Awards 2022
Winner / Best Cinematography, Best Actor, Nastri d’Argento Awards 2022
Official Selection / Venice International Film Festival 2021
“Offering up a high-class acting duel between Servillo and Orlando" - Cineuropa