Italian Film Festival 2023
- Thu 8 Jun 2023
- Len Lye Cinema
- Rating: M
- Face coverings optional
- General $17
- Concession $12 for seniors, students, gallery friends and community service card holders (with valid ID)
- Booking recommended
- As there is no allocated seating doors open 15 minutes before screenings, please come early to avoid disappointment
- To minimise disruption no admittance to cinema 10 minutes after session starts
- Hearing loop provided for the hearing impaired
- Wheelchair spaces available. Free entry for a companion to assist an audience member who has a disability. Companion seat is automatically allocated when a wheelchair space is booked.
A comedy about the fateful dilemma that grips the young people of the South: give up everything in search of a better future or stay at home and try to build a possible tomorrow?
Belli Ciao is 90 minutes of pure feel-good comedy. The protagonists, Pio & Amedeo, are a much-loved comic duo, and this film was a smash hit in Italy. It makes fun of the culture clash between the sophisticated, wealthy North (namely Milan) and
the rural, traditional South (Puglia, in this case).
It tells the story of two childhood friends that took very different paths in life but are reunited years later. Pio turned to the world of finance and left for Milan. Amedeo aimed for a career
in the medical field and stayed in their poor village in Puglia.
Amedeo is sent to Milan and thrust back into Pio’s life. The fish-out-of-water trope is milked to hilarious results. Amadeo learns what the wider world is like, and Pio is reminded of what he left behind. Belli Ciao reminds us in the most entertaining way that to look forward, we must know where we have come from.
- Paolo Rotondo
Awards / Premi
Nominated / Best Comedy Italian National Syndicate of Film Journalists.
“90 minutes of shameless fun.” - Heavy Cinema
IT | 2022 | Comedy | 90 min | Dir. Gennaro Nunziante | In Italian with English subtitles