Italian Film Festival 2023
- Sat 3 Jun 2023
- Len Lye Centre Cinema
- Rating: M
- Face coverings optional
- General $17
- Concession $12 for seniors, students, gallery friends and community service card holders (with valid ID)
- Booking recommended
- As there is no allocated seating doors open 15 minutes before screenings, please come early to avoid disappointment
- To minimise disruption no admittance to cinema 10 minutes after session starts
- Hearing loop provided for the hearing impaired
- Wheelchair spaces available. Free entry for a companion to assist an audience member who has a disability. Companion seat is automatically allocated when a wheelchair space is booked.
Exquisitely shot and simmering with unease, Michelangelo Antonio's Blow-Up is an enigma that invites audiences to luxuriate in the sensual atmosphere of 1960s London chic.
Blow-Up was Michelangelo Antonioni's first English-language film, and a box office hit, widely
considered one of the seminal films of the 1960s. Blow-Up was inspired by a short story by Spanish writer Julio Cortázar. David Hemmings plays Thomas, a wealthy fashion photographer in swinging London.
He spends his time photographing fashion models until one day, he suspects he may have
photographed something far more sinister: a murder.
After taking pictures in the park, Thomas is horrified to find an ambiguous image lurking on the
edge of the frame, which could be a shadow, but looks like a gun. The only thing clear is that the woman (Vanessa Redgrave) in the photo has appeared at his studio, and she
wants the pictures he took. The film features rock music and an original score by jazz pianist Herbie Hancock.
Antonioni's thriller is a clever, existential, stylish masterpiece.
- Paolo Rotondo
“Blow-Up is a work of wit and caustic intelligence, superbly disciplined, elegantly styled, visually astonishing and, for all that, turned out with the deceptive simplicity of perfect
craftsmanship.” - The Nation. Robert Hatch
UK/IT | 1966 | Mystery/Thriller | 107 min | Dir. Michelangelo Antonioni