Botticelli, Florence and the Medici
Italian Film Festival 2023
- Wed 31 May 2023
- Len Lye Cinema
- Rating: M
- Face coverings optional
- General $17
- Concession $12 for seniors, students, gallery friends and community service card holders (with valid ID)
- Booking recommended
- As there is no allocated seating doors open 15 minutes before screenings, please come early to avoid disappointment
- To minimise disruption no admittance to cinema 10 minutes after session starts
- Hearing loop provided for the hearing impaired
- Wheelchair spaces available. Free entry for a companion to assist an audience member who has a disability. Companion seat is automatically allocated when a wheelchair space is booked.
From Salvador Dalì to Andy Warhol, David LaChapelle to Jeff Koons and Lady Gaga, no one appears to be immune to the eternal fascination of Botticelli and his works.
Beauty, creativity, genius: the Renaissance Florence of Lorenzo de’ Medici was a powerhouse of art and culture. Among countless shops and government buildings, there was endless beauty coexisting with the dark side of the city, made up of power struggles, plots, intrigues and brutal violence.
One revolutionary artist, more than any other, was able to project into his works the light and shadows of an era destined never to be forgotten: Sandro Botticelli (1445-1510). In this special cinema event, relive Florence and all its astonishing art and culture through Botticelli’s life, his collaborations, and his challenges and successes under the wing of the Medici family.
Stephan Mangan narrates the documentary, and the art historians brilliantly bring together
this compelling story of art, politics and power of Botticelli’s work, life and times.
“Botticelli, Florence and the Medici is a sumptuous film that delights the
intellect and the senses.” - Friday Film Reviews. Marie
IT | 2020 | 90 min | Dir. Marco Pianigiani | Subtitled