- Mon 23 May 2022
- Len Lye Cinema
- Rating: M
- In line with current New Zealand restrictions for cinemas, conditions of entry to all Cinema screenings under the Covid-19 Protection Framework are:
- o Face coverings to be worn
- General $14
- Concession $10 for seniors, students, gallery friends and community service card holders (with valid ID)
- Booking recommended
- As there is no allocated seating doors open 15 minutes before screenings, please come early to avoid disappointment
- To minimise disruption no admittance to cinema 10 minutes after session starts
- Hearing loop provided for the hearing impaired
- Wheelchair spaces available. Free entry for a companion to assist an audience member who has a disability. Companion seat is automatically allocated when a wheelchair space is booked
Esther is at the end of her career as Head Seamstress at Dior Avenue Montaigne workshop. One day, she gets her handbag stolen in the metro by a 20 year old woman, Jade. Instead of calling the police she decides to take care of Jade.
Before taking her forced retirement from the Maison Dior, head seamstress Esther is finishing her final collection. Depressed and lonely, the septuagenarian has her handbag stolen in the metro by a young girl named Souad and her accomplice Jade, who both live in a disadvantaged suburb.
Remorseful, the latter returns the bag to Esther. Esther notices the delicacy of teenager’s hands and detects a great potential for sewing. Although Jade is reluctant at first, Esther takes her under her wing and makes Jade her new intern at her Maison Dior workshop.
In the frenetic world of Haute Couture, Esther will give Jade la beauté du geste, a way to reach beyond herself.
2021 | Drama | 101 min | Dir. Sylvie Ohayon