La Cena | The Perfect Dinner
Italian Film Festival 2023
- Mon 12 Jun 2023
- Len Lye Cinema
- Rating: M
- Face coverings optional
- General $17
- Concession $12 for seniors, students, gallery friends and community service card holders (with valid ID)
- Booking recommended
- As there is no allocated seating doors open 15 minutes before screenings, please come early to avoid disappointment
- To minimise disruption no admittance to cinema 10 minutes after session starts
- Hearing loop provided for the hearing impaired
- Wheelchair spaces available. Free entry for a companion to assist an audience member who has a disability. Companion seat is automatically allocated when a wheelchair space is booked.
Carmine runs a restaurant to launder dirty money, and finds himself collaborating with Consuelo, a chef in search of perfection. The love for food and the dream of winning a Michelin star will give them an opportunity for redemption.
The Perfect Dinner is a thoroughly entertaining comedy that takes cuisine very seriously. In the lead role is Salvatore Esposito, a massive star in Italy for his hard-nosed depiction of a Neapolitan mobster in Gomorrah. Here, he plays the lovable camorrista, Carmine.
When Carmine is sent to Rome and away from Naples, it is to create a money-laundering business for the proceeds of crime. It seems like a viable proposition until the brilliant and talented chef Consuelo comes to work for him. Her dream is to win a Michelin star, and soon her passion, skills, and attractiveness sweep Carmine up. Together they transform the little restaurant into an exceptional eatery, but this was not the plan the mob wanted.
Suddenly the delectable food and their growing attraction will put them in real danger.
I loved the conversations and philosophy around food for both the high cuisine and the most simple everyday treat.
- Paolo Rotondo
“Offers up a delectable blend of Haute Cuisine, crime and good feeling.” - Cineuropa
IT | 2022 | Comedy | 106 min | Dir. Davide Minella | In Italian and English with subtitles