Italian Film Festival 2023
- Thu 8 Jun 2023
- Len Lye Cinema
- Face coverings optional
- General $17
- Concession $12 for seniors, students, gallery friends and community service card holders (with valid ID)
- Booking recommended
- As there is no allocated seating doors open 15 minutes before screenings, please come early to avoid disappointment
- To minimise disruption no admittance to cinema 10 minutes after session starts
- Hearing loop provided for the hearing impaired
- Wheelchair spaces available. Free entry for a companion to assist an audience member who has a disability. Companion seat is automatically allocated when a wheelchair space is booked.
Giulietta Masina and Anthony Quinn's pitiable pair of outsiders provide a poignant contrast between gentleness and might in Federico Fellini's unforgettable parable.
Some say La Strada is Fellini’s first Masterpiece. Giulietta Masina (his wife and collaborator) is sensational in the lead role of Gelsomina with her tender, endearing and unforgettable performance. Flanked by ‘big name’ US actors Anthony Quinn and Richard Baseheart, she stole the show.
La Strada is the poignant story of peasant girl Gelsomina (Masina) and the itinerant circus strongman Zampano (Quinn), who buys her for his travelling circus. We follow her through trials, mistreatment and scorn. It is like a modern fairy tale and an exquisitely moving vision of life’s struggles.
Accompanied by Nino Rota’s Music, it is an iconic and heartwarming film. In Italian Cinema, it marked a shift away from post-war Neorealism to personal, poetic, and imaginative filmmaking. La Strada possesses a timeless purity and remains one of Cinema’s most exquisitely moving visions of humanity struggling to survive in the face of life’s challenges.
- Paolo Rotondo
“One of the most influential films ever made.” - American Film Institute
“Five Stars ” - The Guardian
IT | 1954 | Drama | 108 min | Dir. Federico Fellini | In Italian with English subtitles