Lasciarsi un giorno a Roma | Breaking up in Rome
Italian Film Festival 2023
- Tue 13 Jun 2023
- Len Lye Cinema
- Rating: M
- Face coverings optional
- General $17
- Concession $12 for seniors, students, gallery friends and community service card holders (with valid ID)
- Booking recommended
- As there is no allocated seating doors open 15 minutes before screenings, please come early to avoid disappointment
- To minimise disruption no admittance to cinema 10 minutes after session starts
- Hearing loop provided for the hearing impaired
- Wheelchair spaces available. Free entry for a companion to assist an audience member who has a disability. Companion seat is automatically allocated when a wheelchair space is booked.
What if you found out your girlfriend's secrets? And what if that secret was her leaving you? Directed by, starring, and co-written by Edoardo Leo, this romantic comedy asks how difficult it is to separate after a long relationship, while paying homage to the eternal city of Rome.
Breaking Up Rome is an original take on a romantic comedy. Two long-term couples
contemplate their relationships, wondering if they should continue together. Tomasso played by
Edoardo Leo (also the director) plays, a struggling novelist who secretly writes an agony aunt
column. One day his partner Zoe (Marta Nieto), a high-powered executive, writes in seeking
advice on breaking up. Tomasso immediately recognises it’s her and begins to extract the secrets and perspectives she could never tell him.
At the same time, his best friend Umberto (Stefano Fresi) is having relationship issues with his eternally preoccupied wife, Elena (Claudia Gerini), who is rather busy as Mayor of Rome.
Rome itself offers the perfect bitter-sweet and supremely romantic backdrop. The result is a very entertaining film that asks us to consider our little secrets, makes us wonder what
taking stock of our relationship would be like, and is a heartfelt reflection of the challenges of a
long-term relationship in today’s complicated world.
- Paolo Rotondo
“This is a joyous, funny, often moving, piece of work, which is impossible\ not to love.”
- Glam Adelaide. Tracey Korsten
IT/SP | 2022 | Romantic Comedy | 112 min | Dir. Edoardo Leo | In Italian with English subtitles