- Thu 15 Sep 2022
- Len Lye Cinema
- Rating: TBC
- In line with current New Zealand restrictions for cinemas, conditions of entry to all Cinema screenings under the Covid-19 Protection Framework are:
- o Face coverings to be worn
- General $14
- Concession $10 for seniors, students, gallery friends and community service card holders (with valid ID)
- Booking recommended
- As there is no allocated seating doors open 15 minutes before screenings, please come early to avoid disappointment
- To minimise disruption no admittance to cinema 10 minutes after session starts
- Hearing loop provided for the hearing impaired
- Wheelchair spaces available. Free entry for a companion to assist an audience member who has a disability. Companion seat is automatically allocated when a wheelchair space is booked
With Moonage Daydream, Brett Morgen (The Kid Stays in the Picture, Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck, Jane) presents a genre defying immersion into the art and sounds of David Bowie.
Considered one of the greatest artists of our time, David Bowie has been moving culture for over 50 years. Moonage Daydream is the first film to be supported by the David Bowie Estate, which granted Morgen unprecedented access to their collection.
Told through sublime, kaleidoscopic imagery, personal archived footage, unseen performances, and anchored by David Bowie’s own music and words, Moonage Daydream invites audiences to immerse themselves in the unique world that is “Bowie”.
In 2017, the estate presented Morgen with over 5 million assets. Included in the collection were rare and never-before seen drawings, recordings, films, and journals. Morgen spent four years assembling the film and another 18 months designing the soundscape, animations, and color palette.
For the film, the sound team - featuring Bowie’s long-time collaborator, friend and music producer Tony Visconti and Academy Award®-winning sound mixer Paul Massey (Bohemian Rhapsody) - remixed and translated Bowie’s original stems for a theatrical environment that will be presented in 12.0, 5.0, Atmos, and 7.1/5.1.
Throughout his career, across generations, Bowie taught us that our differences were our strengths. With MOONAGE DAYDREAM, Bowie provides us with a roadmap of how to survive the 21st century, inviting audiences to celebrate his legacy and enduring influence like never before.
2022 | Documentary | 135 min | Dir. Brett Morgen