Pompei: Sin City | Pompei: Eros e mito
Italian Film Festival 2023
- Sat 10 Jun 2023
- Len Lye Cinema
- Rating: Exempt
- Face coverings optional
- General $17
- Concession $12 for seniors, students, gallery friends and community service card holders (with valid ID)
- Booking recommended
- As there is no allocated seating doors open 15 minutes before screenings, please come early to avoid disappointment
- To minimise disruption no admittance to cinema 10 minutes after session starts
- Hearing loop provided for the hearing impaired
- Wheelchair spaces available. Free entry for a companion to assist an audience member who has a disability. Companion seat is automatically allocated when a wheelchair space is booked.
Pompei. Sin City is a journey back in time, to two thousand years ago, laying bare the myths and characters that helped make this site extraordinary, and rendered it timeless.
Narrator Isabella Rossellini explores the once magnificent and mysterious Roman city, Pompeii, one of antiquity's most evocative archaeological sites. This improbably preserved city
from the past has extended its influence throughout history and influenced culture and art, from
Neoclassicism to Contemporary Art. We are introduced to the words and images of all the great artists that have visited: from Pliny to Picasso, from Emily Dickinson to Jean Cocteau.
The documentary looks at much more than just the eruption, exploring what the city itself was actually like: how its citizens lived their lives, spent their free time, and experienced pleasure,
passion, religion and their fate. From the cult Bacchus and Ariadne to bloody gladiatorial combat, the filmmakers analyse the most mysterious secret of the legendary city. In my experience, no place has been more suggestive and awakened an interest in antiquity
- Paolo Rotondo
“Pompeii: Sin City is a testament to the Italian ideals of preservation and respect for antiquity.”
- A film life
IT | 2020 | 90 min | Dir. Pappi Corsicato | Subtitled