El Caftan Azul | The Blue Caftan
Multiple Award Winning Feature
- Thu 4 May 2023
- Len Lye Cinema
- Rating: M
- Face coverings optional
- General $15
- Concession $10 for seniors, students, gallery friends and community service card holders (with valid ID)
- Booking recommended
- As there is no allocated seating doors open 15 minutes before screenings, please come early to avoid disappointment
- To minimise disruption no admittance to cinema 10 minutes after session starts
- Hearing loop provided for the hearing impaired
- Wheelchair spaces available. Free entry for a companion to assist an audience member who has a disability. Companion seat is automatically allocated when a wheelchair space is booked.
Halim and Mina run a traditional caftan store in one of Morocco's oldest medinas. In order to keep up with the commands of the demanding customers, they hire Youssef. Slowly Mina realizes how much her husband is moved by the presence of the young man. Morocco's official entry for Best International Film at the 95th Academy Awards.
Mina (Lubna Azabal) and her husband Halim (Saleh Bakri) run a small business making and selling bespoke caftans in one of Morocco’s oldest medinas. Halim is a master of his trade, and Mina a canny saleswoman, though their wares don’t come cheap and traditional dress is falling out of favour.
Woven with exquisite care, Maryam Touzani’s Cannes Un Certain Regard winning drama reveals a beautiful love triangle in a small Moroccan town. (Where gay relations are forbidden). Touzani explores a complex marriage with tenderness and grace in a sincere and superbly performed film that unfolds in unexpected and heartening ways.
"It’s the equivalent of a cinematic poem, filled with ache, insight and exhilaration." -
Randy Myers - San Jose Mercury News
"The situations in this scrupulous, compassionate, and quietly captivating picture, written and directed by Maryam Touzani, are tense, to be sure. But the movie itself doesn’t surrender to the tension." - Glenn Kenny - RogerEbert.com
FR/DK/MA/BE | 2022 | Drama | 124 min | Dir. Maryam Touzani | In Arabic with English subtitles