- Wed 13 Jul 2022
- Len Lye Cinema
- Rating: TBC
- Adult $17.50
- Student $14.00
- Sen $12.50
- Child $12.00
- Alliance $14.50
- Booking essential
- In line with current New Zealand restrictions for cinemas, conditions of entry to all Cinema screenings under the Covid-19 Protection Framework are:
- o Face coverings to be worn
- As there is no allocated seating doors open 15 minutes before screenings, please come early to avoid disappointment
- To minimise disruption no admittance to cinema 10 minutes after session starts
- Hearing loop provided for the hearing impaired
- Wheelchair spaces available. Free entry for a companion to assist an audience member who has a disability. Companion seat is automatically allocated when a wheelchair space is booked
The fabulous Fanny Ardant, Melvil Poupaud and Cécile de France beguile in THE YOUNG LOVERS, Carine Tardieu's eagerly anticipated follow up to Just To Be Sure, a modern and emotionally-nuanced romantic dramedy of a woman who embarks on a relationship with a much younger man, and the implications her choices have on those around her.
Elegant, retired architect Shauna (a radiant, never-better Ardant, La Belle Epoque) crosses paths with Pierre (Poupaud), a married oncologist in his 40s, who first made an impression on her in a brief meeting over a decade earlier. Both are drawn to each other and begin a passionate affair. While Pierre’s family life is soon turned upside down - his wife (de France) incredulous at the age difference - Shauna struggles with feelings she thought well-belonged to the past, and the promise of what may remain.
Inspired by real events experienced by the mother of one of Tardieu’s closest friends, the late Sólveig Anspach, this wonderful new film deftly avoids sentimentality, and empathises as equally with those affected by the couple’s unexpected connection as it does with them. Capturing the thrill, guilt and vulnerability of December-May romances, THE YOUNG LOVERS is a hugely moving call to arms to fully appreciate life, no matter society’s preconceptions.
2021 | Drama | 113 min | Dir. Carine Tardieu | In French with English subtitles