Una Femmina | The Code of Silence
Italian Film Festival 2023
- Thu 1 Jun 2023
- Len Lye Cinema
- Rating: M
- Face coverings optional
- General $17
- Concession $12 for seniors, students, gallery friends and community service card holders (with valid ID)
- Booking recommended
- As there is no allocated seating doors open 15 minutes before screenings, please come early to avoid disappointment
- To minimise disruption no admittance to cinema 10 minutes after session starts
- Hearing loop provided for the hearing impaired
- Wheelchair spaces available. Free entry for a companion to assist an audience member who has a disability. Companion seat is automatically allocated when a wheelchair space is booked.
Rosa is a young rebel girl who lives with her grandmother and her uncle in a remote part of Calabria, in Southernmost Italy. Her mother's untimely death when Rosa was a child casts a gloomy shadow on her present life.
Based on the novel Fimmine rebelli by journalist Lirio Abbate chronicling true stories of women who stood up to the ‘Ndrangheta’ (the organised crime clan of Calabria).
Director Francesco Costabile constructs a powerful, unique story of resistance in the wild
Calabrian landscape, where beauty and brutality go hand in hand and the presence of organised crime is embedded.
It is the story of Rosa, a young woman who begins to sense mysteries surrounding her mother’s death and directs her attention to her own family’s involvement. When the truth finally emerges, she realises she could be trapped in the same predestined fate. Rosa decides
to break the chains keeping her family tied to the clan, and embarks on revenge. Absolutely gripping and thoroughly authentic, The Code of Silence represents a new cinematic
perspective on Italian crime.
- Paolo Rotondo
“Lina Siciliano masterfully portrays the mixed emotions Rosa experiences in her quest for revenge. ”
- Lauren Mile. Film Stories
IT | 2022 | Crime/Drama | 120 min | Dir. Francesco Costabile | In Italian with English subtitles