New Plymouth is a city that knows how to live and is quickly becoming recognised as New Zealand's capital of culture.
Choose from international festivals and major sporting events, fancy hotels to backpackers, high-end cuisine to low brow fish and chips, all taking place across a city full of parks, gardens and historic architecture.
We're right on the beach, home to countless surf breaks, close to the airport and in sight of the majestic Mount Taranaki.
Eat & Drink
A huge variety of eateries, bars and some of the best coffee in New Zealand.
Some of our favourite places to dine include Monica's Eatery, Social Kitchen, Petit Paris, Arborio, Table at Nice Hotel, Chaos and Sushi Ninja.
For great coffee, you can't go past Ozone Coffee Roasters or Jet Charm and for a cocktail or wine to finish your day, try Snug Lounge or the Hour Glass.
You won't be short on selection.
Taranaki has earned a reputation as the events capital of New Zealand.
Highlights in the year include:
- WOMAD: three days of music and culture from around the world (March)
- the TSB Bank Festival of Lights: Pukekura Park comes to life at night over summer (Dec – Jan)
- NZ Tattoo and Art Festival: Australasia's biggest tattoo event (Nov)
- Powerco Garden Spectacular: food, fashion, architecture and sustainability and a richly assortment of gardens (Oct/Nov)
- Taranaki International Arts Festival: theatre, cabaret, music and dance (biannual, Aug/Sept)
- Taranaki Arts Trail: meet with artists in their studios and attend workshops around Te Maunga Taranaki (June)
Natural beauty, culture, parks and one of New Zealand's top golf courses.
Be sure to make enough time on your visit to New Plymouth to wander the award-winning 12km Coastal Walkway, home to Len Lye's Wind Wand and Te Rewa Rewa bridge.
Take some time to explore Mount Taranaki and the Egmont National Park.
Pukekura Park in central New Plymouth is a stunning 52ha haven of native bush, lakes and venues.
Whether its checking out the arts and culture scene, surfing our world-class breaks or shopping at our favourite spots, New Plymouth has everything you need for a special long weekend away.
#govettbrewster #lenlye #newplymouth #taranaki
Follow us @govettbrewster